background

Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Homeschooling

As we come to the end of our school year I find myself thinking about what we accomplished. What we learned that wasn't planned and what we didn't learn that I had planned. When we set out to explore Egypt, Greece, Rome (all ancient), the middle ages and on to the Reformation, I had anticipated that we would have so much to show for it. The curriculum I had decided to use didn't fit the needs of my children but I pushed through and at the end of the year I can say that my children were introduced to each of these, but not with the passion I had hoped for. But one great thing about trying something new is that you learn what will work best for your family.

Next year I am excited to be teaching on the age of exploration through 1850 using My Fathers world curriculum. It has the literature that I love, music and art appreciation, nature studies and best of all my highschoolers will be studying the same time period and will be able to talk to my youngsters about all they are learning. I am changing to Singapore math since my children informed me that they dont enjoy the computer based math I had then doing (and its cheaper, another bonus for mom). I am so grateful for the choices I have and for how well my children are articulating their likes and dislikes. Next year will bring many changes in the curriculum we are using, and I pray that my children will be as excited to learn as I am to teach them.

We are all excited to be living in the Utah mountains. Below is a picture of our latest project. We are raising 8 chickens in hope of having farm fresh eggs in the fall. They are no longer this cute but I couldn't resist letting you all see how adorable they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment